Line Street

Looking East on Line Street from Mount Ephraim & Haddon Avenues. Photo taken January 2, 2006

Line Street was named because it followed the finally settled line of division between the Cooper and Kaighn properties. It was originally laid out as a twenty foot alley, but in 1848 was made a street fifty foot wide. In 1848, when the city charter was amended by the State legislature, Line Street became the boundary between the Middle and South wards, Arch and Federal Streets serving as the boundary between the Middle and North Wards. Line Street is not to be confused with Liney Ditch, also known as Little Newton Creek and Kaighn’s Run, which served as the southern boundary of the South Ward. In time, under the encroachments of settlers and the march of industrial progress, the stream began to fill up and became merely a ditch, to which, by common consent, the name Line Ditch was given, as it also served to divide the lands of the Kaighn and Mickle families.


Location







Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Mount Ephraim Avenue

    Mount Ephraim Avenue

    Dating back to 1878, Mt. Ephraim Avenue has a history rooted in the past when it operated as the Mount Ephraim Turnpike, functioning as a toll road.

    Read More…

  • Line Street

    Line Street

    LINE STREET was named because it followed the finally settled line of division between the Cooper and Kaighn properties. It was originally laid out as a twenty foot alley, but in 1848 was made a street fifty foot wide. In 1848, when the city charter was amended by the State legislature, Line Street became the…

    Read More…

  • Convention Hall

    Convention Hall

    Camden has had two buildings known as Convention Hall, which can get a bit confusing, and the issue gets even more confusing when you add the fact that Camden had four different armories in the years between 1880 and 1960, and one of them was also called Convention Hall! It doesn’t help either that Convention…

    Read More…

  • Zuni Athletic Association

    The Zuni Athletic Association sponsored semi-pro sports teams as early as the spring of 1930 and into the early 60s. It appears to have founded in that year. Founding members included Peter Barbalace, Pasquale “Pat” Barbalace, Emil Aceto, John LaPlaca, and Jack O’Neil.

    Read More…

  • Royden Street

    Royden Street

    Royden Street, in Camden, NJ, was named in honor of William Roydon, a grocer from London, England. When he became one of the largest landowners in West Jersey, he was selected to be a member of the first Council of Proprietors.

    Read More…

  • Charles A. Aceto

    Charles A. Aceto

    CHARLES ANGELO ACETO was born in Italy on April 16, 1891 and came to America with his father in 1900. He threw himself into his education and into becoming proficient in the English language. He went into the bus and taxi business for himself with one station wagon, and by 1924 was operating a fleet…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.