Tag: Stephen Parsons

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 4

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 4

    S.S.E. Cowperthwaite, Sewing Machines, etc. 221 Federal Street ONE of the oldest business concerns in Camden is that of S.S. E. Cowperthwaite, located at No. 221 Federal St., and well known throughout the city and country. It was established by Mr. Cowperthwaite in 1840. The salesroom is 16 x 28 feet in size, has, of…

  • Stephen Parsons

    Stephen Parsons

    STEPHEN PARSONS came to Camden in 1844. He operated a hotel at Federal Street and Front Street, near the Federal Street Ferry with partner Richard Cake which was known as Woolston’s Hotel. During the time the partners operated the establishment, until 1853, the Camden Mutual Fire Insurance Company held its Director’s meetings at Parson’s Hotel.…

  • Hotel Ridgway

    Hotel Ridgway

    Southeast Corner of Delaware Avenue and Market Street The West Jersey Hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market Street was built by the West Jersey Ferry Company in 1849. It was run by different parties through the ensuing years. Stephen Parsons operated the business from 1884 until his passing in 1890. The name was changed to…

  • A history of banking in Camden, NJ

    A history of banking in Camden, NJ

    Camden Banking The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank…