Historic Camden, NJ
James McGrory was a Camden firefighter, retiring in 1990. He remained dedicated to helping with fundraising and was active in a number of community events.
William Harry Deitz was a Camden firefighter rising to District Chief. He suffered a fatal heart attack on scene, on November 14, 1962.
Originally a part of Stockton Township, the area that is now known as East Camden was merged into Camden proper in 1899 along with the neighborhood now known as Cramer Hill.
Chief William H. Deitz was directing operations at a house fire on Terrace Avenue, when he went outside for fresh air. He collapsed and was rushed to Cooper Hospital.
A violent electric storm, which paralyzed a South Camden woman, accompanied by a driving rain tumbled the mercury last night and ended, temporarily, the six-day heat wave.