James T. McGrory was born on July 25, 1927, to James T. McGrory and Marguerite McGrory (née unknown). In the 1930 Census, the McGrory family, including James’ younger siblings Doris and Joseph, resided at 527 Fairview Street. At that time, James’ father worked as a manager at an American Stores grocery. The 1940 Camden City Directory indicates that the family had relocated to 4713 Lafayette Avenue in Pennsauken, New Jersey.
Following his service in the United States Army during World War II, James T. McGrory joined the Camden Fire Department in May 1956.
According to the 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory, James T. McGrory Jr. lived at 432 Pfeiffer Street in East Camden. However, by October 1969, he had moved to 111 Terrace Avenue, where he continued to reside at least until the fall of 1977.
James T. McGrory served honorably for over 34 years before retiring on pension on August 1, 1990, at the rank of Captain. He held the position of Captain at Engine Company 11 in Cramer Hill during the early 1970s and later with Engine Company 9 in East Camden.
After retiring, James McGrory found employment at the Pennsauken Country Club and the Inglesby & Son Funeral Home. He actively participated in Masonic affairs and was a member of the New Jersey Retired Police & Fire Association.
James T. McGrory dedicated many years to fundraising for the Camden County Hero Scholarship Fund. He also contributed to the research that resulted in the publication of the Camden Fire Department’s 125th Anniversary book. He maintained an interest in the affairs of the fire department and attended the firefighter’s reunion dinner at The Pub in Pennsauken, New Jersey, in August 2009.
In his later years, James McGrory resided in Pennsauken, New Jersey. He passed away on November 9, 2009. He was survived by his wife, Thelma Anconetani, as well as his son, James McGrory, and daughter, Joan McGrory.