Abraham J. Stow joined the Camden Fire Department on April 8, 1876, replacing John Fallan as an extra man in Engine Company 2. Prior to his appointment, he worked as a teamster driller and continued in that profession after leaving the Fire Department.
Abraham J. Stow served for one year and was succeeded by Peter S. Gray in April 1877.
Born around 1852 in New Jersey to Abraham and Elizabeth Stow, Abraham J. Stow was part of a family that resided in Camden’s Middle Ward according to the 1860 Census. His father, who served in Company F, 27th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment during the Civil War, was not living with the family at that time. Abraham’s father passed away and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery before George Reeser Prowell’s History of Camden County, New Jersey was published in 1886.
During his tenure in the Fire Department, Abraham J. Stow lived at 212 Arch Street and worked as a teamster. By the time the 1878 City Directory was compiled, he had transitioned to working as a laborer and residing at 212 Senate Street. The 1880 Census listed Abraham J. Stow living at 28 North 3rd Street with his mother, brother Thomas, and sister-in-law Nellie. In the 1882-1883 City Directory, he had moved to 326 Taylor Avenue and continued his work as a teamster for William C. Scudder & Son. However, he did not appear in the 1883-1884 Directory, while his mother was listed at 434 North 2nd Street and his brothers John and Thomas were living at 420 Lawrence Street.
Abraham J. Stow reappeared in Camden’s directories in the 1887-1888 edition, still employed as a teamster for William C. Scudder & Son. However, he last appeared in the 1888-1889 edition, living at 217 North 10th Street with his mother and brother Thomas.
There is no further mention of Abraham Stow in the Camden City Directories, and he does not appear in the 1900 Census. His mother passed away in Delanco, New Jersey in 1896.