Arch Street is situated in downtown Camden, positioned between Federal Street and Market Street. In the past, this street extended from Delaware Avenue to North 5th Street, serving as a prominent passageway. However, the passage of time has seen various developments encroach upon Arch Street, causing its existence to fade from view.
Arch Street held significant establishments, including the Collings Carriage Company, later transformed into the Campbell Soup Company garage. The thoroughfare was also home to Camden Commercial College and several other enterprises. Among the notable bars were Oetzel’s Saloon, the Arch Cafe, and the Genova Cafe. The Cooperson Brothers’ auto body shop utilized a building on Arch Street.
One of the most distinguished edifices on Arch Street was the former Camden Fire Department building at the intersection of 5th and Arch Street. Additionally, the Masonic Temple occupied a spot on 4th Street, adjacent to Arch, until its demolition to make room for the Camden Fire Department’s administrative structure.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ.
HARRY C. ANDERSON was born in April of 1873 to Isaac Anderson and his wife, the former Sarah Madison. The family was living at 810 Kimber Street in North Camden when the census was taken in 1880. On December 3, 1904 Harry C. Anderson was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He was then living…
Arch Street held significant establishments, including the Collings Carriage Company, later transformed into the Campbell Soup Company garage.
325 Arch Street, Camden, NJ. Photos and Residents
CHARLES ANGELO ACETO was born in Italy on April 16, 1891 and came to America with his father in 1900. He threw himself into his education and into becoming proficient in the English language. He went into the bus and taxi business for himself with one station wagon, and by 1924 was operating a fleet…
There was a loud bang from the back room of the Third National Bank of New Jersey, Camden at 7:34 am. today, just after Miss Sara Matthews, head bookkeeper, had left and shut the door.