Sycamore Street in Camden, New Jersey, is a notable example of the city’s “tree” streets, a naming convention common in many American cities. Originally running east from Front Street to Haddon Avenue, Sycamore Street has played an important role in Camden’s cultural and community history.
At various times, the intersections along Sycamore Street, particularly at 7th, 8th, and Louis Streets, have been vital hubs for different ethnic and cultural communities in Camden. These intersections have served as focal points for the city’s African-American, Jewish, and Polish communities, respectively.
The intersection at 7th Street emerged as a central area for Camden’s African-American community. This area likely featured businesses, churches, and social clubs that catered to and supported the African-American population in Camden, reflecting the community’s social and economic life.
Similarly, the intersection at 8th Street became a hub for the Jewish community in Camden. This area would have been characterized by the presence of Jewish-owned businesses, synagogues, and community centers, playing a significant role in the cultural and religious life of Jewish residents.
The intersection near Louis Street was known as a center for the Polish community. This area would have included Polish businesses, cultural institutions, and possibly a church or social club, serving as a gathering place and support network for Polish immigrants and their descendants.
These intersections on Sycamore Street, each serving as a hub for different cultural communities, highlight the diverse ethnic tapestry of Camden. They reflect how various immigrant groups and their descendants have contributed to the city’s cultural richness, community cohesion, and economic vitality.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
Cox Street extended westward from 1119 South 2nd Street, covering about half a block until it reached a dead end, located approximately opposite Sycamore Street.
Established in 1885, the Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885.
GEORGE OWENS ADDISON, the son of William H. Addison and his wife, the former Pheobe Ann Drew, was born in Gloucester County, New Jersey on December 4, 1853. His family went to North Jersey for a time, and when the 1860 Census was taken lived in Chatham, in Morris County. When the Census was next…
VINCENT ARIEL TYDEMAN was a professional baseball player, vaudeville acrobats, born in Camden to Edmund and Sarah Tydeman,.
After leaving Engine 10, I stopped by Squad 7, and was still there when this box came in. Police were already on scene, Squad 7 was the first fire unit to arrive. There was a whole lot of smoke from this detached garage on Warnock Place, an old more or less abandoned street that runs…
Police today are investigating the possibility that three fires Wednesday within a quarter-mile area inside of three hours and 46 minutes were the work of a firebug.