1123 Broadway (Broadway and Sycamore Street), Camden, NJ
Established in 1885, the Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885. Zophar C. Howell was the first President. One of the founders, and an early vice-president was Henry B. Wilson, for whom the H.B. Wilson School at South 9th & Florence Street is named, and whose son was Admiral Henry Braid Wilson Jr., for whom the boulevard is named. Another of Wilson‘s son, Philip Wilson, worked for the bank for many years. Other founders included Howard M. Cooper and Isaac C. Toone.
The brick bank building at 2nd and Kaighn Avenue was opened in July of 1887. The bank removed to its new building at Broadway and Sycamore Street in 1906. During the 1910s and up to at least 1926, the bank’s President was Francis C. Howell. In that year its solicitor was Charles A. Wolverton, who would be elected to Congress the following year, and serve until 1959. Directors included Wolverton, Dr. John W. Donges, and William Leonard Hurley, the owner of Hurley’s Department Store. Edmund Stafford and Orlando Bowen had joined the bank as assistant cashiers by 1919.
The Camden National Bank merged with the First Camden National Bank and Trust Company whose main office was at Broadway & Cooper street, on July 1, 1927. The building at Broadway and Sycamore street remained open as a branch for many years, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
This bank traces is roots back to June 16, 1812 when Camden’s first bank was incorporated. It was known as The State Bank at Camden, and retained that name until June 2, 1865, at which time it became a National Bank and its title was made The National State Bank of Camden. This bank did…
The Camden National Bank
ONE of the chief elements in the material growth and progress of a community is the banking interest, and in this department of business, Camden boasts of several vigorous corporations, one of the most important being the Camden National Bank, located at Second street and Kaighn avenue. It was incorporated as a national bank in…
A movement was made shortly after the passage of the National Bank Act toward establishing a bank in the southern part of Camden, but the project was abandoned. A few years later the Gloucester…;
Established in 1885, the Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885.
The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank and its…