Tag: Cramer Hill
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CITY OF CAMDEN
It was in 1631 that the Dutch Commander, De Vries, while sailing up the “De La Warr” River, discovered a verdant island at the spot where Camden now stands. This he named Jacques Eylandt, and the river afterward was named after Lord De La Warr, its discoverer, the Delaware.
Twelfth Ward Republican Club
The Twelfth Ward Republican Club, aka East End Republican Club, has a long and interesting history. Prior to the 1899 merger with Camden, the town of Stockton, which comprised of what is now known as Cramer Hill and East Camden, had a very active political scene.
A Story of East Pennsauken: “Uncle Wes”
The Felton and Brown Families, as told to Joan Kaighn by Edward Ross, Sr., 89 years old at his home, 129 Moore St., Lenola, N.J. on March 31, 2004
A & A Soft Pretzel Baking Company
Take it from one who knows, a pretzel from Philadelphia may be alright, but a fresh pretzel from Camden is special! Do yourself a favor, drive down to Cramer Hill, stop in at the bakery, and get your pretzels straight out of the oven! Perfect for fundraising and outdoor events, call 856-338-0208 to arrange delivery.
Originally a part of Stockton Township, the area that is now known as East Camden was merged into Camden proper in 1899 along with the neighborhood now known as Cramer Hill.
Robert E. Allenbach
ROBERT E. ALLENBACH was the Chief of Police in Camden, New Jersey from 1998 through 2004. The crime rate plummeted during his tenure and the community, he was well respected in the community, but fell victim to the partisan politics that have crippled Camden for much of the past 30 years.
William E. Albert
here, and came to Camden around 1865. When the Census was taken in 1870, Ernest Albert was keeping a hotel, a term then also to refer to a bar or saloon, at 619 North Front Street in North Camden. By 1880 the family also included older siblings Charles, Pauline, and Yetta, and younger siblings Harry, Louis, and Louis. Ernest Albert was still in business according to the 1888-1889 Camden City Directory, oldest son Charles Albert by then working as a bartender. William E. Albert appears in the City Directory for that year, living on North Front Street, and working for William McDonnell, who was operating a butcher shop at 628 North Front Street.
WILLIAM ABELS was born in Pennsylvania around 1839 to Andrew and Sarah Abels. His family was living in Wilmington in 1850. After leaving Wilmington they moved around the country, residing at times in Camden, Philadelphia, Delaware, and Mobile, Alabama. William Abels began working with volunteer fire companies in around 1853 and helped form the first paid fire company in the United States.
Three Alarm Fire at the Ivy Hill Apartments
This page and the other pages in this series are the successors to the series of web-page about the Camden Fire Department. On this and other pages in the series you will find pictures and information regarding different events and aspects of the fire service in Camden, New Jersey.
ROBBERY GANG OF 4 GIVEN LONG TERMS
Four members of the notorious North Cramer Hill gang, two of them participants in the robbery in which one bandit was killed after wounding a city detective, were sentenced to state prison terms by Judge Samuel M. Shay yesterday.
East Side Notes
Firemen “Bobby” Gick, Scott, Franklin, Israel Adams, and William Randall and Adam Hinkle, who went on a fishing trip down the bay to Ship John Light, on board the sloop yacht, William B. Hill, have returned with a good coat of tan and plenty of the denizens of the deep, including a big mess of crabs. The party on aching home pitched their tent on the North Cramer Hill shore and entertained a number of friends, who had come to welcome them home. They had a “jolly good time.”‘
New Buildings Going Up
Camden Daily Courier – November 15, 1890
Camden builders do not seem to be deterred by the fear of financial panic or an idea that the McKinley bill presages disaster in business. New operations are in progress, and several extensive ones are contemplated early in the coming year.