Tag: Charles H. Ellis

  • Pyne Point Park – Tracking History

    Pyne Point Park – Tracking History

    If you grew up in North Camden then you had to remember Pyne Point Park. They were synonymous.

  • Ben Franklin Bridge – Tracking History

    Ben Franklin Bridge – Tracking History

    The Benjamin Franklin (Delaware River) Bridge has a 1,750 foot center span. It was the longest suspension bridge in the world at one time.

  • Arthur Colsey

    Arthur Colsey

    Politically active, Arthur Colsey served on City Council from the Second Ward from 1907 to 1911, as well as serving in the Camden Police Dept, eventually serving as Chief.

  • A History of Post Offices in Camden

    A History of Post Offices in Camden

    Post Offices in Camden were established in 1803 and the first was called Cooper"s Ferry Post Office, under which name it continued until 1829 when it was changed to Camden. The office was first located in the hotel at the foot of Cooper street.

  • Carnegie Library (AKA the Camden Free Public Library)

    Carnegie Library (AKA the Camden Free Public Library)

    The Library Committee of City Council, on February 24th, adopted a resolution presented by Councilman Charles H. Ellis, formally accepting Andrew Carnegie’s offer of $100,000 for a public library in Camden. On April 28, 1903 the Free Library Trustees recommended the purchase of the Dialogue property, at Broadway and Line Street, 80 x 1600 feet,…

  • Camden’s Mayors

    Camden’s Mayors

    A compiled list of Camden City Mayors from 1828-2021

  • Amanda Alloway

    Amanda Alloway, who was born in New Jersey in November 1843, had a notable life deeply intertwined with the historical tapestry of Camden, New Jersey. She married Joseph Alloway by 1863, and the couple had three children: Charles, born in December 1863, Joseph, born on November 22, 1865, and Ida May, born around 1867. The…

  • Joseph E. Nowrey

    Joseph E. Nowrey, born in 1865 in Glendon, Pennsylvania, played a significant role in Camden, New Jersey’s history. His father, Alexander Nowrey, established a dry goods business at 842 Locust Street in Camden before passing away in 1877. Joseph’s mother, Mary, continued running the business after Alexander’s death. Joseph Nowrey’s early career included working as…

  • Emma E. Hyland

    Emma E. Hyland

    Emma Hyland, the widow of John T. Hyland, became involved in politics following the granting of women’s voting rights, remaining an active figure in Camden politics and civic affairs throughout her life. John T. Hyland, an attorney admitted to the bar in 1895, pursued a career with the United States postal service and eventually lost…

  • Frank Truax Dies

    Camden Courier-Post – July 1, 1932 POLICE SERGEANT Second District Officer Had Been in Service Since 1917 Police Sergeant Frank Truax of the Second Police District died at last night in Cooper Hospital of a complication of diseases. He was 50 and resided at 1139 Kenwood Avenue. Sergeant Truax was admitted to the institution at…

  • Police to Probe $200,000 Kaighn Ave. Fire

    Police to Probe $200,000 Kaighn Ave. Fire

    Camden Courier-Post – January 18, 1922 Fire Captain May Die, Four Others Injured; Damage Is $200,000 Economy Store and Other Buildings Near Broadway Swept by Flames Early This Morning Falling Debris Carries Men Through Roof And Into Cellar Sleeping Inmates of Apartments Roused and Invalid Carried to Safety Mayor Sees Rescues Mayor [Charles H.] Ellis…

  • New Chairmanship of the Camden Chamber of Commerce Committee

    New Chairmanship of the Camden Chamber of Commerce Committee

    Circuit Court Judge Frank T. Lloyd yesterday accepted chairmanship of the Camden Chamber of Commerce Committee which is to study the unemployment question and make suggestions for remedial measures. With Judge Lloyd on the committee are: Alban Eavenson, of Eavenson & Levering; Belford G. Royal, of the Victor Talking Machine Company; Corgressman Francis F. Patterson.…