Tag: Federal Street
Oscar Gibbs’ Sinclair Gas Station
The gas station, on the southwest corner of 18th and Federal, was razed sometime in the 1970s. The Dimedio Lime Company, which is across Federal Street, bought the property and erected a new building on the site.
Harry C. Anderson
HARRY C. ANDERSON was born in April of 1873 to Isaac Anderson and his wife, the former Sarah Madison. The family was living at 810 Kimber Street in North Camden when the census was taken in 1880.
On December 3, 1904 Harry C. Anderson was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He was then living with his wife, the former Margaret A. Cummisky, at 1147 Federal Street. He reported for duty on July 1, 1905.
On September 1, 1909 Harry Anderson was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred from Engine Company 5 to Ladder Company 1, whose captain at the time was Joseph Maxwell.
Making the Supreme Sacrifice in the line of duty, Harry Anderson died from internal injuries suffered when a trolley car crashed into Ladder Company 1’s apparatus at North 4th and Arch Streets on April 15. He was taken to Cooper Hospital, where he died on May 4, 1916. He was buried at Harleigh Cemetery.
Federal Street was originally called Joseph Cooper’s Lane, and ran from the river to the old Haddonfield Road. In 1803 Joshua Cooper, who was an ardent Federalist, called it Federal Street. His father, Daniel Cooper, had, in 1764, built a large three-story brick house and established a ferry about the same time to Philadelphia. This lane was to provide the farmers in the area a way to get to the ferry.
Harry J. Allebach
HARRY J. ALLEBACH was born in Norristown PA on November 24, 1897. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. When the 1920 Census was taken he was living at 2913 High Street in East Camden with his wife and daughter Frances at the home of his widowed mother-in-law. Harry J. Allebach was then working as an electrician at a “car shop,” most likely the railroad car repair shops in the switching yard near his home. Their neighbors at 2919 High Street were Carl and Lulu Kellman. By 1924 Harry and Consuelo Allebach moved down the block to 2931 High Street, remaining at that address as late as 1943. The 1930 Census also shows brother firefighter David Humphries living at 2925 High Street with his wife and young son, future Camden firefighter David W. Humphries. Harry J. Allebach was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1930. He reported for duty at Engine Company 4 on the same day.
Joseph A. Alcorn
JOSEPH A. ALCORN was born in Camden, New Jersey in February of 1919 to Mary and William Alcorn. He was the youngest of eight children, coming after James G., William Joseph, Rose, Marie Frances, Thomas J., Genevieve, and Rita. The family came to Camden some time after 1914. By 1918 they had settled at 906 North 9th Street in North Camden, near the Highland woolen mills at North 10th and State Streets. William Alcorn was a foreman at the mill, and his two oldest sons also worked their when they became of age.
Wilson Ephraim Adams
WILSON EPHRAIM ADAMS was well-known to many in and out of Camden for his many letters to the Courier-Post. He worked at the Police Administration building on Federal Street for several years prior to his retirement. Prior to that he had worked for the Housing Authority of the City of Camden, and he was a career member of the United States Coast Guard, retiring as Yeoman First Class. He had been a member of the King David masonic lodge in Camden, and was a member of the Hudson-Adams-Carpenter Post 473 of the American Legion, which was named in part for his older brother Ralph Francis Adams, who had been killed in action while serving on a submarine during World War II.
Israel B. Adams, Jr.
ISRAEL BUTLER ADAMS JR. was born on October 23, 1859, one of twelve children born to Israel and Adeline Cox Adams. The elder Adams was a farmer. By the spring of 1860 the family was living in Camden County’s Stockton Township, quite possibly in or near the Delair section of what is now Pennsauken. His father passed away in Delair in 1886. Pennsauken was incorporated in 1892, what remained of Stockton became part of Camden in 1899.
JOSEPH “JOE” ACQUARO grew up in Camden, New Jersey. He was the son of Biagio “Benny” Acquaro and the former Frances Petrella. He was one of the top baseball players in Camden and is inducted into the South Jersey Baseball Hall of Fame.
Biagio ‘Benny’ Acquaro
BIAGIO ‘BENNY’ ACQUARO was born in Philadelphia PA on March 22, 1906. His mother Nunziata passed away at the age 45 when Benny was only two years old, on August 22, 1908. His father Giuseppe took him and his two sisters, Mary and Catherine, to Italy. All three worked the fields in the valley of Accettura.
ARCH STREET lays between Federal and Market Street in downtown Camden. At one time, the street ran…
Robert T. Abbott
ROBERT T. ABBOTT was born in Salem, New Jersey on March 21, 18689 to Benjamin P. Abbott and his wife, the former Beulah Horner. The family moved to the Wrightsville section of Stockton Township, what is now Camden, in the 1870s. The 1880 Census shows the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, Robert, and his younger siblings William, Flora, and Estella. Another sister, Beulah, born in 1876, had died before the end of the following year. Two more Abbott children were born in the 1880s, James Griffee Abbott and Emma Abbott. The Abbotts made their home at the corner of 24th and Federal Streets in the 1880s. Benjamin Abbott was in business as a commission merchant. By 1885, Robert T. Abbott was working for his father as a clerk.