George Robeson Thompson was born in New Jersey around 1871, belonging to a family with a rich history in Camden. His father, John Reeve Thompson, served as a member of Camden’s first City Council, while his son, Marshall Thompson, had an esteemed career with the Camden Police Department.
George R. Thompson’s appearance in Camden’s City Directories dates back to 1890 when he resided with his father at 337 Kaighn Avenue. In 1890, George worked as a clerk, but after marrying Harriet Isabella Winkler around 1892, he transitioned to the real estate business.
George and Harriet Thompson had at least nine children: John, Martha, George R. Thompson Jr. (a World War I veteran), Helen, Marshall, Margaret W., Robert, Myrtle, and Mary Thompson.
Their home address changed over the years. They stayed at 337 Kaighn Avenue until 1899, and in 1896, George R. Thompson became Justice of the Peace. By 1900, they resided at 1113 South 4th Street and later moved to 350 Sycamore Street from 1905 to 1908, and then back to 1113 South 3rd Street from 1909 to 1912. During this period, George R. Thompson worked as a Justice of the Peace and an Alderman while continuing his real estate ventures, maintaining an office at 1145 South 4th Street.
On February 29, 1912, George R. Thompson shifted careers and joined the Camden Police Department, where he served for at least 19 years and eventually rose to the position of Detective in the late 1920s.
The Thompson family moved residences multiple times during the subsequent years, including stops at 251 Mount Vernon Street in 1913, 239 Mount Vernon Street in 1915, and 325 Walnut Street from 1917 to 1919. By 1921, they settled at 252 Mount Vernon Street until 1926.
In 1927, George R. Thompson and his family relocated to Cramer Hill, residing at 1223 North 28th Street. By the following year, they moved to 900 Beideman Avenue and lived there until the spring of 1930.
Marshall Thompson, George R. Thompson’s son, joined the Camden Police Department on March 1, 1928, along with several other new appointees.
As a retired detective, George R. Thompson’s name appeared in the 1931 City Directory at 918 North 31st Street. In the 1936 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory, he was listed at 221 North 42nd Street.
George R. Thompson passed away on April 14, 1942, and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden.
George Robeson Thompson was born in Camden around 1871. His father, John R. Thompson, served on Camden’s first City Council, while his son, Marshall Thompson, had a career with the Camden Police Department.
Philadelphia Inquirer – December 14, 1915 Three Camden policemen were injured, one of them seriously, last night, when the First district auto ambulance was struck by a trolley car while responding to a call from 2310 Carman street, where Bodine Stratton, 39 years old, had shot himself over the heart. All were taken to Cooper…