Harry J. Allebach was born on November 24, 1897, in Norristown, PA. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. According to the 1920 Census, they resided at 2913 High Street in East Camden, along with their daughter Frances, in his mother-in-law’s home. At that time, Harry worked as an electrician at a “car shop,” likely referring to the railroad car repair shops near his residence. The Kellmans, Carl, and Lulu, were their neighbors at 2919 High Street. By 1924, Harry and Consuelo Allebach moved a few houses down to 2931 High Street and lived there until at least 1943. The 1930 Census showed Harry’s brother, firefighter David Humphries, living at 2925 High Street with his wife and their son, David W. Humphries, who would later become a Camden firefighter.
Harry J. Allebach joined the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1930, and was initially assigned to Engine Company 4. On August 13, 1930, he was transferred to Ladder Company 3, located at North 27th and Federal Streets in East Camden. Harry served with Ladder Company 3 until February 13, 1945, when he became the Chief’s Aide for the Second Fire District. In the 1947 Camden City Directory, he was listed as residing at 1903 Tinsman Avenue in Pennsauken. However, he later returned to Camden and lived at 2941 Cramer Street in East Camden, which was close to his previous residences.
Harry J. Allebach continued his service as Chief’s Aide until June 16, 1951, when he was transferred to Engine Company 11 on North 27th Street in Cramer Hill. On January 14, 1952, he was once again assigned to District Chief’s Aide duty. Subsequently, on February 2, 1957, Harry was reassigned to Engine Company 11. He retired from the Fire Department on pension on February 1, 1958. According to the October 1956 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory, Harry J. Allebach was still living at 2941 Cramer Street, although he was not listed in the October 1959 edition. In his later years, he resided in Deland, Florida, where he passed away on September 2, 1981.
Harry J. Allebach
HARRY J. ALLEBACH was born in Norristown PA on November 24, 1897. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. When the 1920 Census was taken he was living at 2913 High Street in East Camden with his wife and daughter Frances at the home of his widowed mother-in-law. Harry J. Allebach was then working as an electrician at a “car shop,” most likely the railroad car repair shops in the switching yard near his home. Their neighbors at 2919 High Street were Carl and Lulu Kellman. By 1924 Harry and Consuelo Allebach moved down the block to 2931 High Street, remaining at that address as late as 1943. The 1930 Census also shows brother firefighter David Humphries living at 2925 High Street with his wife and young son, future Camden firefighter David W. Humphries. Harry J. Allebach was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1930. He reported for duty at Engine Company 4 on the same day.
You must log in to post a comment.