Tag: Independent Order of Odd Fellows

  • Charles H. Ellis, Jr.

    Charles H. Ellis, Jr.

    Born on April 22, 1862, in Camden, Charles H. Ellis Jr. was deeply rooted in the city’s fabric. His grandfather, Samuel Ellis, notably served as Camden’s first City Clerk and initiated the city’s first newspaper. Charles’s father, a successful grocer, established a grocery store at 5th and Berkley Street, around the time Charles was born.…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 10

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 10

    FRANK MESTER, IMPORTER AND WHOLESALE LIQUOR DEALER 4th AND ARCH STREETS. This is one of the most widely known houses in the town, it having had an established reputation for the sale of unadulterated wines and liquors. The business was established may years ago by Mr. George Ooetz, who successfully ran the business until 1877,…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 8

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 8

    WILLIAM BLEAKLY, WOOD-BURNT LIME, HAIR, PLASTER, ETC. N. W. COR. FRONT & FEDERAL STREETS A REPRESENTATIVE business man and public-spirited citizen is the subject of this too brief sketch; succeeding George Garrett, who established the above place about twenty years ago. Two places are occupied, one being on the N. W. corner of Front and…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 7

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 7

    Chas. H. Ulbrich, Locksmith and Bell Hanger 322 Arch Street Among the best and most favorably known establishments of this character in this vicinity may be mentioned is that of Mr. Chas. H. Ulbrich. This gentleman established business about eight years ago. The premises are about 20 x 40 feet in dimensions. The store and…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 6

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 6

    G. W. QUINN, BARBER 1647 BROADWAY AMONG the best known tonsorial artists in this neighborhood may be mentioned Mr. G. W. Quinn. This talented and versatile gentleman has been here many years, coming in 1873. The business has since been most successful, as may be seen upon looking at the large array of cups and…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 5

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 5

    WILLIAM R. BENNETT, MANUFACTURING JEWELER 544 FEDERAL STREET WILLIAM R. Bennett is the proprietor of the establishment so frequently mentioned by the people of Camden, and vicinity as “Bennett’s Jewelry Store,” It is situated at 544 Federal street, and was opened, in October, 1887, by Mr. Bennett. The salesroom is 18 x 34 feet in…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 3

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 3

    SOCIETY MANUFACTURING COMPANY 28 MARKET STREET In the production of fine grocers’ specialties, no trade mark has become more familiar with the higher class of the trade than that which bears the trademark “Society,” which is practically synonymous with purity, high quality, and artistic make up, in the preparation of the goods placed upon the…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 2

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 2

    J. B. VAN SCIVER & CO. This firm occupy a handsome building on the corner of Delaware avenue and Federal street. It is of mammoth proportions and is visible along the whole river front. Furniture of all descriptions, from the plain and substantial to the aesthetic, artistic and costly, are to be found in its…

  • 1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 1

    1890 Review of Camden, New Jersey – Part 1

    1890 Historical and Industrial Review of Camden, New Jersey – Intro The Historical and Industrial Review of Camden, New Jersey was commissioned and published by Camden’s Board of Trade, a forerunner of the Chamber of Commerce. NEW YORK: COMMERCIAL PUBLISHING COMPANY. 1890 The Camden City Board of Trade In recognition of the serious detriment to…

  • Wildey Hall

    Wildey Hall

    Wildey Hall, at 500-506 Pine Street, was built in 1868, by the Wildey Lodge No. 91, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. It derived its name from Thomas Wildey, who formed the first Independent Order of Odd Fellows lodge in New Jersey in Camden in 1829. The Odd Fellows had been previously been connected to Morgan’s…

  • Stephen Parsons

    Stephen Parsons

    STEPHEN PARSONS came to Camden in 1844. He operated a hotel at Federal Street and Front Street, near the Federal Street Ferry with partner Richard Cake which was known as Woolston’s Hotel. During the time the partners operated the establishment, until 1853, the Camden Mutual Fire Insurance Company held its Director’s meetings at Parson’s Hotel.…

  • Morgan Hall

    Morgan’s Hall, also known as Morgan Hall, was built by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The cornerstone of Morgan’s Hall, or as it was originally called, Odd Fellows Hall, at the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets, was laid on October 5, 1848. The building was dedicated on November 8, 1849. It was…