Originally designated as “Potter’s Old Block,” Cox Street extended westward from 1119 South 2nd Street, covering about half a block until it reached a dead end, located approximately opposite Sycamore Street. Interestingly, this street did not exist when the 1885 Sanborn Map was created. However, in July of 1888, the Philadelphia Inquirer featured a story about James Cox, a developer who was constructing houses on Cox Street. It wasn’t until 1890 that Cox Street made its first appearance in City Directories. By 1891, the street had seen the construction of 14 homes, evenly distributed with seven on each side.
Notably, shortly before the compilation of the 1923 City Directory, Cox Street underwent a name change and was renamed Sycamore Street.
In the post-World War II era, the land area enclosed by Kaighn Avenue, Chestnut Street, South 2nd Street, and Front Street was consolidated for industrial development. By 1963, only four homes remained on what had formerly been Cox Street. In the subsequent years, Cox Street, along with Stanley Street, Boyer Street, and Nelson Street, were completely removed from the cityscape.