News of a Day in the City of Camden

Philadelphia Inquirer – May 23, 1906

Considerable surprise was manifested in Camden yesterday when it was announced that Anna Turner, the sixteen-year-old daughter of Frank Turner, a prominent builder and contractor, has been marred since January 21 to Louis Voegtlin, formerly of Camden, but now of Trenton. Up until the past few days Miss Turner, who lived with her parents at 707 Line street, had been attending school. It was through the mother of Voegtlin finding a letter in his pocket addressed to “My Dear Husband” that the fact the two had been married first became known to the parents of the two. Then they confessed to having gone to Moorestown on January 21, where they were married by a minister. While the parents of the bride were somewhat chagrined at the secret marriage because of the extreme youth of their daughter, she has been forgiven and Mr. and Mrs. Voegtlin are living happily in Trenton

Comparatively heary sentences were imposed by Judge Gaskill, sitting for Judge Joline in the Criminal Court in Camden yesterday. Hugh Kelley, William Conway and James Harris, Philadelphians, who assaulted former Policeman Samuel Alcott, were given eighteen months in State prison. Two years and six months in the same institution was the sentence imposed on Stanley Murray, convicted of breaking into the place of Richard Green, 272 Division street, and stealing $15 worth of junk. Harry Livermore was given two years for robbing the place of Jonathan Simpkins, 531 Berkley street. Walter Willets, detected in the act of looting the grocery store of Isaac Harris, 1001 Kaighn avenue, was sentenced to two years in State prison.

It was announced by the New York Shipbuilding Company in Camden yesterday that it has received a contract for the construction of a $1,000,000 steamship for the Pacific Coast Company, to be used in the trade between San Francisco and Portland. The craft will be 416 feet tong, 48 feet wide, and will have a speed of 15 knots an hour. It was also stated that the armored cruiser Washington, the fastest ship of her class in the world, will be turned over to the government on July 1.

Miss Anna Ware, of 741 Mt. Vernon street, Camden, is in a serious condition from blood poisoning as the result of a slight injury. While sewing a piece of silk she slightly cut her finger and from this the blood poisoning developed. An operation was performed yesterday by Dr. W. B. Muller to save her life.

Miss Mary Garvin, of Sixth and Washington streets, Camden, was severely injured yesterday at Broadway and Mechanic street by being ran into by an unknown colored bicyclist. She was cut and bruised about the body, and it was an hour before she recovered consciousness. The police are looking for the scorcher.

John Ganley, 19 years old, of Riverside, in jumping from am moving freight car at that place yesterday fell beneath the wheels. His legs and body were terribly crushed. After being temporarily cared for by a physician the latter ordered him taken to the Cooper Hospital in Camden. Before the institution was reached Ganley died.

Tax Receiver John S. Roberts, who was stricken at his desk some weeks ago with temporary paralysis, was at his post of duty yesterday.

Spontaneous combustion caused a fire which damaged the Wissahickon Dye Works at Eighth and Spruce streets, $1000 yesterday

Counsel for Mrs. Caroline McNeill, widow of Martin McNeill, who was resident engineer at the water works, has begun proceedings against the Columbian National Life Insurance Company to recover $1000, the amount of a policy.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.