Tag: Elm Street

  • Aquinas Club

    Aquinas Club

    The AQUINAS CLUB appears to have been a social club that existed in North Camden prior to World War I. As a guess, it likely consisted mostly or entirely of young Catholic men from the Holy Name parish, although there also were a few older members. The club apparently disbanded around 1915. In June of…

  • George B. Anderson

    George B. Anderson

    George B. Anderson was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as a replacement extra man with Engine Company 2. He took the place of William S. Davis, who had been promoted to Engineer. He resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden’s Fourth Ward.…

  • Edwin F. Allen

    EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He…

  • Vincent Ariel Tydeman

    Vincent Ariel Tydeman

    VINCENT ARIEL TYDEMAN was born in New Jersey on August 24, 1883 to Edmund and Sarah Tydeman, who had come to America from England in 1878 with their nine children. Another child, Florence, was born just before the June 1880 census. Edmund Tydeman, the oldest son of a Baptist minister, was an optician who had…

  • North Camden Hit by a Great Cyclone; Homes Wrecked

    North Camden Hit by a Great Cyclone; Homes Wrecked

    Philadelphia Inquirer – April 3, 1912 Hundreds of Houses Ruined by Violent Wind and Rain and two Persons May Die; Streets Strewn with Debris Two lives will probably be sacrificed, property valued at at least a hundred thousand dollars, was virtually destroyed and the northwest section of the city was laid in ruin when a…

  • Camden Cyclone of April 2, 1912

    Camden Cyclone of April 2, 1912

    The city of Camden was hit by tornadoes, or as they were then called, cyclones, on two occasions, August 3, 1885 and April 2, 1912. The first storm destroyed the Tabernacle Baptist Church at North 3rd and Pearl Street, and caused damage to buildings at North 3rd and Main Streets and elsewhere. The second storm…