This page is part of the 1890 Historical and Industrial Review of Camden, New Jersey. Please also see the following pages which continue the publication:
Part 1 – Introduction
Part 2 – Businesses
Part 3 – Businesses (Cont’d)
Part 4 – Businesses (Cont’d)
Part 5 – Businesses (Cont’d)
Part 6 – Businesses (Cont’d)
Part 7 – Businesses (Cont’d)
Part 8 – Businesses (Cont’d)
Part 9 – Businesses (Cont’d)
Part 10 – Conclusion
WILLIAM BLEAKLY, WOOD-BURNT LIME, HAIR, PLASTER, ETC.
N. W. COR. FRONT & FEDERAL STREETS
A REPRESENTATIVE business man and public-spirited citizen is the subject of this too brief sketch; succeeding George Garrett, who established the above place about twenty years ago.
Two places are occupied, one being on the N. W. corner of Front and Federal streets, and the other at Twelfth and Federal streets. They are 40 x 60 feet and 150 x 100 feet, respectively, in dimensions and are devoted to the sale of the celebrated Cedar Valley Wood-Burnt Lime and a line of kindred stock, such as Hair, Calcined and Land Plaster, Sand, Sewer Pipe, Fire Clay and Brick Cement, Coal, etc.
MRS. WILLIAM DOERSCHNER, DYEING AND SCOURING
415 FEDERAL STREET.
The restoration of faded, stained or soiled goods to their pristine freshness and brightness is an occupation that commends itself to every one for its usefulness. Mrs. William Doerschner, of 415 Federal street, has been for twenty-three years past engaged in this business — in fact, since they came here from Germany. They were formerly located in Atlantic City, but removed to Camden on the 25th of February, 1890. Visitors are received and orders taken in the office of the concern, which is 14 x 14 feet in size and in which numerous specimens of the work done here may always be seen and inspected. Silks, woolens, crapes and merinos are dyed in any desired colors; crape and merino shawls dyed scarlet and other colors; merino, cashmere and crape shawls cleaned; kid gloves and feathers cleaned and dyed; gentlemen’s coats, pants, vests and cloaks cleaned and pressed, altered and repaired. An assistant is employed and an established and extensive trade won by good work and reasonable prices.
CHARLES RICEMAN, TONSORIAL ARTIST
205 FEDERAL STREET.
CHARLES RICEMAN, the Barber, who has been doing business at No. 205 Federal street since 1855, is a native of Camden and a well-known citizen, whose skill and industry have given him an excellent reputation throughout the city. His business is that of a Barber and Hair Dresser. He makes a specialty of Ladies’ Hair Cutting, but does all kinds of work in this line. The business room is 14 x 18 feet in dimensions and contains three chairs. Two assistants are employed, including Edward Rice, the foreman.
The proprietor was born in Camden and was brought up to this business.
J. K. STREET, BUILDER AND GENERAL HARDWARE
528 FEDERAL STREET.
One of the houses that should not be overlooked in this general review of Camden business is that of J. K. Street, dealer in Builders’ Hardware, embracing Locks, Hinges, Screens, Nails, Tacks, House and Ship Carpenters’ Tools, Spades, Shovels, Hoes and Rakes; and Housekeeping Articles, in Tubs, Buckets, Baskets, Step Ladders, Tinware, Hollowware, Clothes Horses, Bird Cages, etc.; Table and Pocket Cutlery.
Agency for the Gold Medal Carpet Sweeper, Marion Harland Coffee Pot, and many attractive Art and Mechanical Novelties, No. 528 Federal street.
Mr. Street came from England to America and established himself here in 1870 in this business, fifteen years ago — was in the mercantile line previously — has been at this stand two years. His salesroom is 18 x 34. He carries a complete assortment of the goods above enumerated, together with many others too varied to be included within the limits of this article. His trade is a large one and the daily sales provide full employment for the proprietor and one assistant. The house is looked upon as one of the most reliable in the city.
DAVID JONES, CUSTOM SHOEMAKER AND DEALER
332 FEDERAL STREET
David Jones, of 332 Federal Street, is a practical shoemaker, who has by skill and industry made himself a desirable reputation for honest dealing, good work, accuracy in new work and skill in making repairs, in which he excels. He handles ready-made goods and carries a select assortment which includes rubbers and slippers and all kinds of foot wear of good qualities, employing one assistant. The salesroom is 20 x 30 feet in size and his place is regarded as one of the most reliable in Camden. The business was established here 8 years ago by Mr. Jones himself and has been successful from the start. His only specialties are custom work and repairing.
PLANTERS’ OYSTER MARKET, WAGNER & REEVES
FEDERAL AND DAY STREETS
No place in Camden offers better facilities or a finer stock of goods than the two gentlemen who conduct the above place. Oysters, Fish, Clams, Crabs, Lobsters, Terrapin and Shad are among the specialties handled early, they being noted for its freshness and excellence.
The individual members of the firm are William B. Reeves and Frank M. Wagner, both wide-awake and energetic young men, whose push and energy have won them a host of friends and acquaintances.
Mr. Wagner was formerly in the employ of the Union News Company, and Mr. Reeves followed the water prior to his engaging in his present avocation, and has been to all parts of the world. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. E, 1st New Jersey Cavalry, under the captaincy of J. W. Kesler, and was present at fifteen of the most important battles of the Civil War, sustaining a severe wound while in the service of his country. Mr. Reeves was in the service of the United States Government for nearly four years during the recent War and served with distinction and honor.
It is an excellently conducted place in every respect, five assistants being employed.
SAMUEL G. EDWARDS, MEATS AND PROVISIONS
527 S. 6TH STREET
The business was started last fall. The store is about 25 x 70 feet and contains all the newest and most approved fittings.
Here may be found all the choicest cuts that the epicure loves so dearly. Poultry, Butter and Eggs are made specialties of. All kinds of Fruit and Provisions are kept, and always fresh.
Mr. Edwards gives employment to two assistants and one team.
WILSON & CO., CARRIAGE BUILDERS
18TH AND FEDERAL STREETS
The Carriage Building industry in this section is well represented in the well known house of Wilson & Co. These gentlemen opened business here about a year ago and have since met with much success.
The main building is about 25 x 60 feet in dimensions, two stories high. The warerooms are located in an adjoining structure. The special business is Carriages, but all kinds of Wagons are built.
Repairing is promptly attended to in the neatest and best manner. Five skilled assistants are constantly employed.
The members of the firm are John Wilson and James M. Carman. Both gentlemen are practical men, having always been in this business.
Mr. Wilson is a member of Post 5. He enlisted in the 4th New Jersey Regiment in 1861, and re-enlisted in the 10th New Jersey Regiment and served four years. In the end of the war he was in Kearney’s Brigade.
Mr. Carman was a member of Co. F, 106th Regiment of Pennsylvania, called Baker’s Brigade, and was present at many of the important battles of the war.
A POPULAR MARKET
There is probably no more popular dealer in meats in this city than is the genial Joseph. B. Carter whose daily business it is to serve a large number of friends and patrons with choice cuts of fresh, city-dressed beef, veal, lamb and mutton at fair prices, from 4 of the stalls in Federal Street Market — 4 stalls that are models of neatness and order — that invite the passer-by to stop, and if he stops, ten to one he becomes a purchaser.
Mr. Carter has been in this business continuously since 1865 — in this market since 1878. That goes to show that he finds it profitable and that his patrons have not deserted him to go and do worse with somebody else. He has two assistants, and keeps them busy. Everybody who has been in Camden knows him. He is a native of the city; spent his boyhood in agricultural pursuits; his early manhood as a moulder, and entered E Company of the 40th Regiment, N. J. Volunteers, participated in some skirmishes, and was honorably discharged at the close of war in 1865. He has served on the city police force, and in every position has maintained a reputation for honesty and uprightness.
GEO, W. FERGUSON, MILLINERY
456 KAIGHN’S AVENUE.
One of the handsomest stores in this neighborhood, in this line, is that owned and conducted by that genial and courteous gentleman, Mr. Geo. W. Ferguson. This business was established by the present proprietor in Centennial year. The store occupied is about 25 x 70 feet in dimensions and is fitted up in the most magnificent style. Here may be found the newest importations and the most beautiful styles that are brought into the market.
A specialty is made of trimming hats to order. All the materials may be purchased here; also all un-trimmed Hats, Bonnets, etc., as well as Flowers, Ribbons and Ornaments. Six skillful assistants are employed.
Mr. Ferguson is a native of the Empire State, but has been a permanent resident of the city for some time past. He is a member of G. A. R. post, Mystic Chain, Golden Eagles, Red Men and Commercial Club. He went out in the 52d N. G. Regiment and was in the army eighteen months, having been wounded in the battle of Fair Oaks. He is at present commander of W. B. Hatch Post, No. 37.
JOHN HUNT, CARPET WEAVER
Among the business men of Camden, who have been shrewd enough to establish a special line of trade and closely devote themselves to it, none deserve higher commendation for the excellence of work performed than does Mr. John Hunt, the carpet weaver of 18 Market street, where he established himself over sixteen years ago, and has met with uniform success and prosperity ever since.
Two floors, 50 by 30 feet in dimensions, are occupied, five assistants being constantly employed operating the six big looms of which the place boasts. Rag carpet of every description and variety is turned out, and an ample stock is kept on hand for the convenience of transient purchasers.
Everything about the place betokens thrift, energy and enterprise on the part of the proprietor.
Mr. Hunt is a native of England, and has been in this country about forty years, and is highly esteemed here, both socially and in a business sense. As an evidence of the high esteem in which he is held, it may be mentioned that he frequently receives orders from a large distance, having many patrons in the extreme West and South. He is the manufacturer of the celebrated Jersey Lily Carpet, which has just been put upon the market. It is noted for its durability and weight, combined with beauty in the patterns. Mr. Hunt is by experience in the business one of the most tasteful artists in designing carpets.
WILLIAM BACHRACH, WALL PAPER AND SHADES
346 KAIGHN’S AVENUE
This gentleman is a thoroughly practical man, having been in the business for some time, this store having been opened March 18th, 1890. It is about 20 x 30 feet in dimensions and here may be found one of the largest stocks of Wall Papers. Table and Floor Oilcloths, Stair Rods, Window Shades and Shade Cloths. All kinds of work is done. Estimates are cheerfully furnished for large contracts. When running normally five skilled decorators are employed and a handsome team is used.
Mr. Bachrach is the Chairman of the Trustees of the Red Ladies and a member of various other social and fraternal societies.
S. S. WEAVER, CIGARS
232 FEDERAL STREET
The retail Cigar Store and Factory of S.S. Weaver, at 232 Federal street, enjoys the reputation of being one of the best retail cigar houses in the city. It was established in 1877 by the present proprietor, who removed to this stand five years ago. The salesroom, is 16 x 16 feet in size, with a factory of 14 x 18 feet in its rear, in which two assistants are employed. The work done is of the best, as the goods produced are expressly for the retail trade, and this is principally local. Some of the special brands are Commercial, Preferred Stock, Puffs, etc.
Mr. Weaver is a Pennsylvanian by birth, and was born in 1843. In early life he was engaged in farming. In 1862 he entered the Union army, and served with E Company, 135th Pennsylvania Volunteers, for nine months and re-enlisted for three years in the 20th Pennsylvania Cavalry, in the battle of Chancellorsville and throughout the Shenandoah Valley campaign. Was also a prisoner of war in Andersonville and other rebel prisons for eleven months.
MRS. MARGARET WILSON, NOTIONS
418 KAIGHN’S AVENUE
This business was established by the present proprietress about two years ago. The store occupied is about 25 x 50 feet in dimensions. A large stock of Dry Goods, Notions, Trimmings, and Small Wares is constantly carried.
Mr. Wilson is a native of this city, and has always been prominent. He is a member of Post 37, G.A.R. He was in the Navy during the late war, and is a practical machinist, and repairs all makes of Sewing Machines. Scissors and Saws are sharpened on the premises, 418 Kaighn’s Avenue.
JOHN BURKHART, WHOLESALE AND RETAIL TOBACCO & CIGAR DEALER
287 KAIGHN’S AVENUE
Originally established by J. F. Williams, the present proprietor succeeded to the management of this enterprise in 1890. The salesroom occupied is 18 x 16 feet in dimensions, comprehensively stocked with a full line of Tobacco, Smoking and Chewing, Pipes, Snuffs, Amber and Meerschaum Goods, and every variety of Cigarettes and Cigars. These goods are distributed to the wholesale and retail trade. this house selling to dealers all over Camden and adjacent counties. Dealers in quest of reliable goods, would do well to form business relations with this establishment. In the prosecution of the business several assistants are employed, and every means is at hand that will in any way foster the interests of the patron.
The subject of the sketch is a native of Waterford, New Jersey, and when the safety of his country was invaded, adopted the knapsack, in 1861, in Co. H, 1st N. J. Volunteers, distinguishing himself in some 18 battles and skirmishes, taken prisoner in “The Seven-days fight,” and released after thirty-one days. Mr. Burkhart received an honorable discharge in 1864, after a venturous martial career. Establishing in his present mercantile venture, he is regarded as a reliable dealer.
Mr. Burkhart is made to appear on the army register as Burkhett, that being the name bestowed upon him by his comrades in arms.
Mr. Burkhart is aided in the store by his sons Harry, George and Sebastian, three able and energetic young men.
HANDSOME RETAIL BUSINESS
The exigencies of business, the character of some incidentally discovered need, or any one of many circumstances may suggest, to an observant man or woman, the practicability of some business specialty that, if rightly introduced and understandingly conducted may or will open the way to a marked success, and if intelligently persevered in to an assured commercial triumph. Knowing that certain articles in the line of provisions are not always to be procured, of the best qualities and in their best conditions, from the general or miscellaneous dealer.
George G. Horner, in 1876 established in this city, commenced the business of supplying, direct to customers, the staple articles, Butter, Eggs, Poultry and Cheese. Two years later, in 1878, he found his trade grown to proportions of such importance that he removed into the Federal Street Market, where he now occupies four well kept stalls and is recognized as a reliable purveyor of these goods.
Mr. Horner is a native of Camden County, and from having previously devoted himself to agricultural pursuits was peculiarly fitted by his experience to handle these goods properly, has been enabled to supply a demand for the best and freshest at little or no more expense to consumers than they usually incur in purchasing the often inferior and frequently impure and unwholesome stock offered by those merchants who have no particular acquaintance with these goods. He sells only at retail, but with one assistant and one team he is able to do a large but select trade among the best families, hotels and restaurants in the city.
Mr. Horner is looked upon in the community as an honorable and substantial citizen, and is now the Treasurer of the United Friends. During the late war he was a herder and shipper in the Federal commissary department. While in that position he took successful charge of the largest transfer of cattle ever taken from any one point in the United States to another, being 500 head of cattle on one boat taken from Washington to City Point, Virginia, in 1864.
H. BRIGGS, DRY GOODS AND NOTIONS
6th & ELM STREETS
There is scarcely a better or more favorably known store in this section of the city, devoting their energies to this line of trade, than that of Mr. H. Briggs. This estimable gentleman opened business here about four months ago, and has thus far been very successful.
The store is about 20 x 40 feet in dimensions, and is fitted in the most convenient manner. A very heavy stock is carried, comprising Dry Goods, Underwear, Hosiery, Men’s Furnishings, Notions, Small Wares, etc. Special bargains are always to be found here.
Mr. Briggs, like many of our most successful merchants, is an Englishman by birth. He is also employed by the Camden Worsted Mills, and much of the detail work of the store devolves upon his wife.
EDWARD K. PICKERING, CIGARS
659 FERRY AVENUE
Among the most prominent stores of this character in this section may be mentioned that of Mr. Pickering. This genial and courteous gentleman opened the business here about three years ago.
The store is about 20 feet square and fitted nicely. Here may be found a large and choice selection of Imported and Domestic Cigars, Smoking and Chewing Tobaccos, Cigarettes, Pipes, and Smokers’ Articles are also carried. Two assistants are employed.
Mr. Pickering is an Englishman. He came to this country about twenty-three years ago.
RUDOLPH’S VIENNA BAKERY
119 AND 121 ARCH STREET.
G. H. BURT, Proprietor.
When, during the Centennial in 1876, Vienna Bread was introduced, who would have thought that it would have attained such popularity. Among the first in this city to introduce and sell this bread was Mr. Rudolph.
This gentleman originally established business in 1860, and after managing it successfully many years, sold out the business in May, 1889, to the present proprietor, Mr. G. H. Burt. The premises occupied consist of a two story building about 40 x 150 feet in dimensions. The bakery is in every way furnished in the most complete manner. A special oven is used for the baking of Vienna Bread, the only one of its character in this city. In addition, all kinds of Bread and Rolls are made. The capacity being about 3800 loaves daily at a consumption of 75 barrels of flour weekly. The trade is both wholesale and retail, extending all over this and the adjoining counties. The constant services of 16 capable men are required and 6 teams are used to deliver to the trade.
Mr. Burt has been a well-known resident of the city for the past 30 years. He is at present Overseer of Weights and Measures in this city.
WEST JERSEY PAPER COMPANY, PAPER MANUFACTURERS
FRONT & ELM STREETS
There is no larger factory in Camden that is devoted exclusively to the manufacture of heavy papers than that owned and operated by the West Jersey Paper Co. The concern was organized in 1879.
The mill has a frontage of 150 feet on Elm street and a depth of over 140 feet on North Front street. Everything is done here, from the cutting of the rags and jute to the moving out of the paper in the roll and sheet. It would require too much space to treat on the manufacture of paper in general, but it is enough to say that no mill in the country is better equipped than this one. All grades of manilla rope paper are put on the market, as well as a great many special grades, which have met with much success. When running normally, the firm has in their employ 40 skilled and capable workmen.
The officers of the corporation are Lewis Seal, Esq., President; Thos. S. Safford, Treasurer, and Jas. W. Chalmers, Secretary, — all residents of this city, and an estimable triumvirate of prosperous business men.
J. W. EARLEY, CONFECTIONERY
437 S. 5th STREET
This business was established by the present owner about thirteen years ago, at the same stand that he now occupies. The building has a frontage of 20 feet on Fifth street and a depth of 80 feet.
All kinds of fresh Candies are offered for sale, these being manufactured on the premises and right under the supervision of the proprietor, who is a very careful and watchful man, and sees that no impurities are allowed to get in. One of the principal things in the business is the manufacture of Ice Cream, which is carried on to a very large extent. This is sold at wholesale as well as retail.
The Ice Cream Saloon connected with the establishment has a seating capacity of over fifty people, and very frequently, during the summer time, this is not large enough for the number of patrons. Mr. Earley has in his constant employ five well-trained assistants, who are ever on the alert looking after his interests.
He is a native of Gloucester County, N. J., but has been an esteemed resident of Camden for many years.
LANGENDORF’S JEWELRY STORE
320 FEDERAL. STREET
The oldest Jewelry house in Camden is that of D. G. Langendorf, Jeweler and Watchmaker, who established himself here in 1865. He has a fine salesroom of 20 x 80 feet, amply stocked with everything belonging to this line of trade, including American and Swiss Watches, Clocks (American and French), Silverware of fine qualities and elegant in design, Optical Goods, Gold-headed Canes, and a fine selection of Diamonds, Umbrellas, Bronzes, and a choice collection of Fancy Goods. Several assistants are employed, and Repairing is made a prominent specialty.
Mr. Langendorf is a native of Bohemia, and was always a jeweler. He came to this country thirty-four years ago, in his boyhood, and is as thoroughly an American as if he had been born under the Stars and Stripes, whose enemies he encountered while serving in F Company of the 32d Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, at Hagerstown and elsewhere.
ROBERT H. PATTON
538 FEDERAL STREET
About twenty years ago, after an extended experience in Philadelphia, among the best firms, Robert H. Patton established himself here, No. 538 Federal street, where he has a salesroom of 18 x 38 feet and a cellar for storage.
The place is well stocked with an assortment of fine Wall Papers, Window Shades, Shade Fixtures, Oil Cloths, Rugs and other goods in this line. He is a practical man, knows the requirements of his trade and where to obtain them at the best rates.
Mr. Patton fills many contracts for fine paper hanging — plain and decorative, — and is prepared to fill all orders for Window Shades, which he will make and hang to order. Since establishing here he has won the respect and esteem of all with whom he holds business relations.
G. W. SWOPE, WHOLESALE AND RETAIL DEALER IN MEATS AND PROVISIONS
N. W. CORNER OF 11th AND FEDERAL STREETS
Established in this business about twenty-five years ago and removed to the present quarters some ten years since and now occupies a commodious place 33 x 20 feet in dimensions. The stock partly consists of Beef, Veal, Lamb, etc., which is home-dressed and is disposed of both wholesale and retail. The capacity of his slaughter house being about 2,500 to 3,000 pounds of beef per week.
Sausage, Scrapple, Lard, etc., are also manufactured on the premises; 8,000 to 10,000 pounds of pork being disposed of weekly. A mammoth refrigerator, with a capacity for 1,000 pounds of ice, is a feature of the establishment. Three active and obliging assistants are employed and a team is used to facilitate business.
Mr. Swope is a native of Camden, and during the rebellion was actively engaged both as a soldier, taking an active part in the battles of Fredericksburg and Culpepper, and being himself discharged in ’65 on Lee’s surrender. He was also active in 1861 in U.S.Military R. R. C. as a bridge builder and an engineer. Personally he is greatly liked both in a business sense and socially.
CHARLES HELM, WHOLESALE & RETAIL BUTCHER
N. W. CORNER OF THIRD & ARCH STREETS
The introduction of Chicago meat into the Eastern markets has in a great way affected many of our dealers, but some of the best known have been able to withstand their all-engulfing arms, among them Mr. Charles Helm. This gentleman established business in this city about twenty-five years ago, and later a branch store was opened on Haddon avenue; close by this the slaughter-house is located.
All meat for sale in either of Mr. Helm’s stores is killed in this city. About 15 cattle, 20 sheep and a number of calves and lambs a week. Great care is used in the preparation of meat; all the best appliances are used, and the meat is stored in immense ice-houses. In conjunction with the meat business, Vegetables, Fruits and Produce of all kinds is carried in both stores.
The trade is both wholesale and retail, extending all over this and the adjoining counties.
Mr. Helm is a native of Philadelphia, but has played a prominent part in Camden’s history for the past thirty-five years.
CAMDEN GRAIN CO., DEALERS IN FLOUR, GRAIN, FEED, SEEDS, Etc.
21 MARKET STREET
Among the many comparatively new enterprises which the present year has brought forth in the business life of Camden, none deserve more special reference than the above, who occupy a wareroom 22 x 55 feet in dimensions, amply stocked with the best and most approved brands of Flour, Grain, Feed, Hay, Salt, Plaster, etc., as well as a line of Plows and other agricultural implements.
In addition to the wareroom on Market Street two large stone houses are also occupied by the comprehensive stock, all of which, despite its large size, is kept up to a standard of unquestionable excellence. Five employees are kept at work and a team is used in the successful transaction of business.
The manager of the concern is Mr. J. W. Taylor than whom it would be impossible to find a more competent man, being fitted both by an experience of 18 years and by personal ability to the sale of this line of goods. He is a native of Burlington County but has been a resident of Camden for 18 years He is highly esteemed in both social and business circles.
J. E. BOARDMAN, PAINTER
120 N. THIRD STREET
There is scarcely any line that requires the amount of careful attention that painting does, and there is no more careful and attentive gentleman in the business than Mr. J. E. Boardman, who has devoted the best part of his life to this line. He formerly had an establishment at 43 N. 3d street, but last Fall, finding that his business was growing too large for his place, he moved to the commodious building located at 120 N. 3d street, which has a frontage of 25 feet and depth of about 70 feet.
Anything in the painting line can be done by Mr. Boardman; all kinds of House Painting, Graining, and finishing Hard Woods, besides all kinds of renovating of Brick Fronts; in fact, anything in this branch of trade. He does Sign Painting in another department expressly for the purpose.
The successful operation of the business requires the employment of 15 men most of the time and sometimes many more are engaged to fulfill large contracts.
Mr. Boardman has always been a well-known resident of Camden, and esteemed in trade circles as an upright man of business principles.
MRS. KATE DeNISE, GROCER
1701 FILLMORE STREET
This estimable lady opened this business about three months ago. The store itself is about 20 feet front and 30 feet deep. It is fitted in a very handsome and commodious manner. A large and varied stock is carried, and comprises a full line of Sugars, Spices, Teas, Coffees, Flour, and the many articles that belong in this branch. Provisions, Fresh Fruits and Salt Meats are made a specialty of. Three efficient assistants are constantly employed.
Mrs. DeNise has always been one of the city’s most respected residents.
F. H. VOLLMER, BAKER
6th & ELM STREETS
There are but few businesses that require more A skill and constant attention than this one. Among the best and most favorably known in this vicinity may be mentioned Mr. F. H. Vollmer. This gentleman purchased the business a short time ago from Mr. J. Masner, who established it some years ago.
The premises are about 20 x 85 feet in dimensions. The Bakery is located in the basement. Every device tending to lessen labor is used. Bread, Pies and Cakes of all kinds are made. Ice Cream is also made. The services of several capable men are constantly required, and a team is kept to deliver bread to the regular customers.
Mr. Vollmer has always been a resident of Philadelphia, but came here a short time ago.
SILAS LETCHFORD, GROCER
1938 FILLMORE STREET
This gentleman opened here about five years ago. The store is a corner one about 20 x 25 feet in dimensions and fitted in the best manner. A large stock of Groceries, Canned Goods, Spices, etc., is always to be found here. Fresh and Salt meats are also extensively handled. Imported and Domestic Fruits and Provisions are paid especial attention to. Three capable assistants are constantly employed and one team is used to deliver orders.
Mr. Letchford is an Englishman by birth, but has become a well known resident of this county where he has resided for nearly a quarter of a century. He is an active member of the Chieftain’s League, Red Men, and has been through all chairs, for over 18 years; and was one of the original members of Knights of labor. Prior to engaging in business he followed the avocation of a painter for many years. Is now a highly esteemed merchant and property owner.
G. W. BURROUGHS
1636 & 1638 BROADWAY.
Among the largest and best known houses in this section may be mentioned that of Mr. G. W. Burroughs. This gentleman opened business here nearly a quarter of a century ago, and success has been with him ever since. The stores are about 38 feet front and 30 in depth, and fitted in the best manner. A large and varied stock of Men’s, Ladies’, Misses’, and Children’s Shoes are handled. A big line of Gent’s Furnishing Goods is also kept. The newest and most popular styles are always to be found here. Hats, Caps, Trunks, Valises, etc., are also handled. Three capable assistants are constantly employed.
Mr. Burroughs is an active member of Post 5, G. A. R., Odd Fellows, and the Independent Order of Mechanics.
J. C. De La COUR’S PHARMACY
3rd AND ARCH STS
Certainly the oldest and best known Pharmacy in this city is that of Mr. J. C. De La Cour. This business was originally established in March, 1836, by Mr. J. C. De La Cour, who managed it successfully for many years, his son then took the management and kept it until December, 1889, when he died, and his son, Mr. J. C. DeLa Cour, Jr., took the active management, while his grandfather, the original proprietor, is still in the business but not actively.
The premises consist of a large store about 25 x 50 feet in dimensions, with the laboratory and compounding rooms in the rear and upstairs. The trade is both wholesale and retail, extending all over the city and county. The firm are manufacturers of all kinds of Plasters and Specialties for the trade. Constant employment is given to about eight capable men. The store is entirely furnished in marble and is one of the most commodious in the city.
The family have always been prominent in public as well as private life. Mr. J. C. De La Cour, Sr., has been a member of the Board of Education for many years; Mr. J. C. is a Secretary of the Board, and a Past Deputy Grand Master of the Masonic Fraternity of the State of New Jersey.
L. E. ROBERTS, HATS AND FINE FURNISHINGS
THIRD & FEDERAL STREETS
The furnishing goods business is now an enormous branch of industry, and employs many thousands of men, women and children, and nothing in it is more remarkable than its rapid development. The house we now mention was established by Andrews & Bro., who were succeeded in 1886 by the present proprietor, L. E. Roberts.
This fine store is situated at the corner of Third and Federal Streets. The salesroom is 38 x 44 feet in dimensions, and the trade is Hats and Furnishing Goods, of which a heavy stock is always carried, and the assortment embraces everything desirable in both departments. The trade is large and requires the services of several assistants.
Mr. Roberts was born in Pennsylvania, but has resided in Camden for the past fifteen years. He was formerly a watch-case manufacturer in Philadelphia. He is a member of the Masonic Order and of the Camden Club.
THOMAS COYLE, LIQUORS FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES
333 ARCH STREET
The use of liquor for medicinal purposes is strongly recommended by nearly all eminent physicians; the great care must be used to obtain pure and unadulterated goods. There are several persons in the city who devote their energies to the trade, but none are better or more favorably known than Mr. Thomas Coyle. This gentleman opened business in this city about 4 years ago.
All grades of Whiskey, Wines, Brandies, Rums and Cordials are handled. Every article sold is warranted perfectly pure, as it is sold without any change from the bonded storehouse.
Mr. Coyle has been in his day a great traveler, having been all around the world, and having done business nearly all over the country. He is a great believer in a high license law but thinks that it should be so adjusted as to give equal privileges to all dealers who are of a good moral character.
For Bowel Complaints, Mr. Coyle’s Cherry Brandy; for Dyspepsia, his New England Rum; for Kidney Trouble, his Pure Holland Gin, give universal satisfaction.
PATRICK POWELL, UNDERTAKER
702 FEDERAL STREET.
The last attention we are permitted to bestow upon our friends is to bury them. But we wish to do this with a degree of ceremony designed to be expressive of our affection, friendship and respect. Many great improvements have been introduced into the ceremony of preparing the bodies of the dead for burial, and of constructing the caskets for the reception of the bodies. One of the largest of the furnishing undertakers in this city is to be found at 702 Federal Street, the handsome establishment of Patrick Powell, Funeral Director and Morgue Keeper, Coffin and Casket Manufacturer.
Mr. Powell embarked in this business in 1879. His office is 20 x 16 feet in size, workshop 20 x 35 feet, and wareroom 12 x 16 feet. He carries a large assortment of burial robes, lining, etc., in stock; manufactures burial robes and does embalming. He learned this business in an apprenticeship of 8 years; was before that a grocer. His business is so large as to require three assistants and two dead-wagons.
Mr. Powell was born in Ireland, but came to America in 1854, and was in the coal and ice business in Bordentown, N. J., in the capacity of superintendent, and was also at one time in the employ of the old Camden & Amboy Railroad Company; he has held the position of morgue keeper for the past 6 years. The morgue is built upon his own ground, expressly for keeping the bodies found. Telephone, 204.
WILLIAM OSBORN, CONFECTIONERY
This business was established here some time ago by the present proprietor’s mother, Mrs. A.L. Osborn, and her son took the business about six months ago. The store is about 20 feet square and in it may be found a large line of Toys, Stationery and Fancy Goods, as well as a full line of Confectionery. Two capable assistants are constantly employed.
Mr. Osborn has been a well known resident of this section for the past fourteen years.
This is the only Government Stamp Agency in this ward, and is a great convenience to the neighborhood in consequence.
J. H. COUNTISS, HARDWARE, ETC.
BROADWAY AND FERRY AVENUE [1744 Broadway]
This gentleman opened the store on this corner about 5 years ago and has met with great success. The store is about 20 x 35 feet in dimensions, and fitted in the best possible manner. A large and varied stock of Hardware, Paints and House furnishing Goods is kept. Special attention is paid to the small details that are so numerous in the business. Three capable assistants are employed and a team is kept running constantly.
Mr. Countiss is a native of Delaware but has been a resident of this section for the past ten years.
HENRY WIRTH, FINE GROCERIES AND PROVISIONS
FEDERAL AND 11th STREETS
This gentleman started in business here in March, A 1890, prior to which time he was located at the Market House, Fifth and Federal Streets. He occupies a neatly fitted up salesroom, 25 x 25 feet in dimensions, and carries a stock which consists of Fancy Groceries, Canned Goods of all kinds, Fancy Cheeses, Dried Fruits, etc.
Several able and alert employees are employed and a team is used for delivery purposes.
Mr. Wirth is a native of Germany and has resided in Camden for the last ten years; he is highly esteemed in the community and is universally regarded as a business man of reliability.
P. J. MULLANE, BOOT AND SHOE MAKER
5th AND ARCH STREETS.
One of the best known establishments in this vicinity is that of Mr. P. T. Mullane. This estimable young gentleman started business here about 3 years ago. The premises occupied consist of a store and basement. The latter being used as a workshop. Boots and Shoes of all kinds are made to order. Particular attention is paid to repairing, it always being done in the best and most careful manner. A large stock of Cigars, Tobacco and smokers articles are also sold.
Mr. Mullane has been a life-long resident of Camden and is very well known to a large circle of friends.
J. FARRELL, TIN AND SHEET-IRON WORKER
24 MARKET STREET.
This well-known business house was established in 1875 by Mr. John Farrell, recently deceased. It is now conducted in the interest of that gentleman’s estate, being managed by the late Mr. Farrell’s, young man of uncommon business energy and promise.
A well arranged salesroom, 22 x 50 feet in dimensions, is well stocked with Stoves, Heaters, Ranges and roofing material. Heaters being manufactured on the premises. Two large workrooms, of equal size with that devoted to sales purposes, being used for manufacturing purposes, and six competent employees being constantly at work there, and two teams being used in the successful prosecution of this business.
The present manager of the business is a native of Camden and a successful business career doubtless awaits him.
SAMUEL H. DAWSON, PROVISIONS
FEDERAL STREET MARKET
“Competition is the Life of Trade,” an old and trite saying, and one that has more meaning at the present period than ever before — it not only keeps prices down to a reasonable figure, but it engenders a strife for the production of better goods, as only the fittest can survive. Samuel H. Dawson, who occupies four stalls in the Federal Street Market, and who deals largely in Butter, Eggs and Cheese, at wholesale and retail. He has several assistants and runs a delivery team. He has established a large and profitable trade, and numbers among his patrons many of the first families of the city, and sells largely to the grocery trade.
Mr. Dawson was born in Glassboro, N. J., and learned the trade of glass-blower at Williamstown. He has been in the market business for the past 20 years, 17 of which were passed in Philadelphia 12th Street Market. He is widely known and popular, and is looked upon as a deservedly successful citizen, and certainly deserves the patronage of all who require goods in his line.
CHARLES H. LAIRD, DRY GOODS AND NOTIONS
This gentleman opened business at 1638 Broadway about 8 years ago, and finding that more desirable quarters were to be procured here made the move last year. The business is under the active management of his wife; this estimable lady is a thoroughly practical business woman.
The store is about 20×40 feet in dimensions, and fitted in the best manner. A large and varied stock is carried, comprising all kind of Dry Goods, Hosiery, Underwear, Notions, Ribbons, Embroidery Materials, Fancy Goods, and Small Wares. Two capable assistants are constantly employed.
Mr. Laird is a native of Philadelphia but has become an esteemed and well known resident of this city.
J. A. GASKILL, CONFECTIONERY, ICE CREAM AND OYSTER SALOON
766 FEDERAL STREET
This gentleman opened business about two years ago and has met with success, caused by thoroughness in constant business principles. The store is about 18×25 feet in dimensions and fitted up nicely. A dining room, capable of seating ten persons, is located in the rear.
A general line of Confectionery, Newspapers, Periodicals, etc., is constantly carried in stock. Several assistants are employed in the prosecution of the business.
Mr. Gaskill has always been one of Camden’s most esteemed residents, and in connection with his business he conducts the business of a plasterer as well as real estate dealer.