Eighteenth Street extends from River Avenue northward, passing Harrison Avenue, in the area initially known as Pavonia, now part of the Cramer Hill neighborhood. This section is entirely recognized as North 18th Street. Additionally, there’s a brief segment of Eighteenth Street in East Camden, spanning just one block southward from Federal Street to Carman Street, which has no assigned addresses. By the time the 1887-1888 Camden City Directory was issued, the street was already established and was initially named Dayton Avenue. It was renamed to its current name shortly after the 1900 Census.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
The gas station, on the southwest corner of 18th and Federal, was razed sometime in the 1970s. The Dimedio Lime Company, which is across Federal Street, bought the property and erected a new building on the site.
ISRAEL BUTLER ADAMS JR. was born on October 23, 1859, one of twelve children born to Israel and Adeline Cox Adams. The elder Adams was a farmer. By the spring of 1860 the family was living in Camden County’s Stockton Township, quite possibly in or near the Delair section of what is now Pennsauken. His…