ROYDEN STREET, which was improperly spelled on the city plan, was named in honor of William Royden, who in 1681-82 became the owner of all the land between the present Cooper Street and Line Street.
William Roydon was originally a grocer from London, England. He had apparently been interested in the development of the New Jersey colony as early as 1676, six years before his arrival in America. One of the largest landowners in West Jersey, he was selected to be a member of the first Council of Proprietors. When it was decided that regular ferry service should be established between Camden and Philadelphia, William Roydon was selected and granted an exclusive license to conduct ferry business between the Newton and Cooper’s Creek.
Inception of the First Paid Fire Department in the US
On June 7, 1866 Camden’s City Council enacted an ordinance reorganizing the volunteer fire service to improve efficiency in operations. This ordinance provided for increased compensation to the fire companies (Weccacoe and Independence got $800 per annum to be paid quarterly, the Weccacoe and Shiffler Hose companies and the United States Fire Company received $200 annually). The volunteer fire companies were also directed to select a Chief Fire Marshal and three Assistant Marshals, one from each district. The selections were subject to approval by Council. The new department was called “The Fire Department of the City of Camden.” In protest of this ordinance the New Jersey Fire Company No.4 withdrew from the new, organized volunteer department.
16 Beauties to Vie for Honors Tonight
Sixteen South Jersey girls are competing in a popularity contest which closes tonight at the first annual professional show and dance of Camden Shrine Club in Convention Hall.
Bernard A. Ahlberg
BERNARD ABRAHAM AHLBERG was born September 18, 1858, in Sweden. He came to America at the age of 18, and moved to Philadelphia shortly afterwards, where he remained until 1907, when he came to Camden. When the census was taken in 1910 the Ahlberg family owned a home at 569 Royden Street in South Camden. While in Philadelphia he worked and attended Drexel Institute (present-day Drexel University) where he remained a student until he was 44. he came to Camden in 1907, and founded the Camden Copper Works on Fifth Street, at Washington Street. The business moved to 559-609 South 2nd Street, in December of 1911. During his lifetime his business was one of the most successful of its type in America. When the census was taken in 1920 Bernard Ahlberg and family had moved to Collingswood NJ, where they owned a home at 701 Linwood Avenue. Besides Camden Copper Works, Bernard Ahlberg was active in many, many other business ventures, civic organizations, and fraternal groups, which are detailed in the biography below, published shortly after his death. He passed away on May 24, 1925.
You must log in to post a comment.