Tag: Haddon Avenue

  • Frank B. Hanna

    Frank B. Hanna

    Frank B. Hanna was born in New Jersey in 1894. He married Rachel Thomason around 1914, and they had a daughter, Elizabeth, the following year. By January 1920, the Hannas were residing at 5315 Locust Street in Philadelphia. At the age of 25, Frank had already become Chief Clerk at one of the shipyards in…

  • Ringold Street

    Ringold Street was a small street that ran from 1074 Line Street south for one block to 1131 Pine Street. It was the third street east of Haddon Avenue between Line and Pine Streets, following Perry Street and Jane Street. Ringold Street first appeared in the 1888-1889 Camden City Directory, with the only listing being…

  • Bradley Avenue

    Bradley Avenue stretches eastward from 1400 Haddon Avenue to Euclid Avenue in the Parkside section of Camden.

  • Seward Street

    Seward Street

    Seward Street is a relatively obscure yet intriguing part of Camden’s urban landscape. It belongs to a category of “forgotten streets” within the city. However, it stands apart from most of these forgotten thoroughfares because it still physically exists on the map, albeit with some unique characteristics and a lack of recognition. The origins of…

  • Mount Ephraim Avenue

    Mount Ephraim Avenue

    Dating back to 1878, and originally named Border Street until the 2000’s, Mt. Ephraim Avenue has a history rooted in the past when it operated as the Mount Ephraim Turnpike, functioning as a toll road. Its origins trace back to the junction of Line Street and Haddon Avenue. In a subsequent period, roughly between 1929…

  • Atlantic Avenue

    Atlantic Avenue

    Positioned three blocks south of Kaighn Avenue, Atlantic Avenue extends from Front Street in the west to Haddon Avenue in the east. The eastern segment of Atlantic Avenue, stretching beyond 7th Street, presents a combination of residential and commercial properties that persists to this day. The thoroughfare persists through the span between 7th and 9th…

  • Haddon Avenue

    Haddon Avenue

    Haddon Avenue is a historic road in Camden County, New Jersey that has played an important role in the region’s development since at least 1792. The road is named after Elizabeth Haddon, who established a settlement in the late 1600’s that would become the town of Haddonfield. Today, Haddon Avenue is a major commercial and…

  • Convention Hall

    Convention Hall

    Locations: Camden has had two buildings known as Convention Hall, which can get a bit confusing, and the issue gets even more confusing when you add the fact that Camden had four different armories in the years between 1880 and 1960, and one of them was also called Convention Hall! It doesn’t help either that…

  • Langham Avenue

    Langham Avenue is located in Parkside, running south from Walnut Street to Baird Avenue, two blocks east of Haddon Avenue. Following World War I, many prominent members of Camden’s Jewish community lived on Langham, although the street was never entirely Jewish, contrary to popular rumor. By the end of the 1950s, this trend had largely…

  • Joseph Abarno

    Joseph Abarno

    JOSEPH ARBANO was born in New York on August 11, 1895 to Domenic and Amerosa Arbano. Domenic Arbano had come to America in 1885 with his oldest son, James, in 1885. By 1917 the family had moved to 203 Royden Street in Camden NJ. When he registered for the draft on June 5, 1917, Joseph…

  • A. N. Stollwerck and the Chocolate Factory

    A. N. Stollwerck and the Chocolate Factory

    In September of 2009 Sandy White-Grear of the Haddon Township Historical Society sent the following article on the history of the A.N. Stollwerck chocolate factory which stood for many years at 1649-1651 Haddon Avenue. By Sandy White-Grear, 2009 Many long-time Camden N. J. area residents can recall the wonderful scent of chocolate perfuming the air…

  • Bishop’s Hospital Fund Oversubscribed $200,000

    Camden Courier-Post – May 19, 1964 Ground for Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital was broken September 7, 1947. More than 2,500 persons saw Bishop Eustace turn the first spadeful of earth at the site on Haddon Avenue near Euclid. He then blessed the ground. The ceremony, attended by church dignitaries, civic and professional leaders, was…

  • Koerner Made Police Chief; Carroll, Mattison Promoted

    Koerner Made Police Chief; Carroll, Mattison Promoted

    Camden Courier-Post – November 29, 1949 Johnson, Garrity Move As Aaron Shifts Officers Capt. Gustav Koerner, youngest of six men holding that rank in the department, today was named Camden police chief. Public Safety Director Aaron announced the appointment and the 53-year-old Koerner, a member of the department 26 years, was sworn in by County…

  • Huge Gambling Joint Raided By State Police

    Huge Gambling Joint Raided By State Police

    Maple Shade Progress – July 28, 1949 Confiscate $38,700, 187 Men Are Nabbed Gamblers Felt Secure As They Thought Raid Wasn’t Possible; Race Wires Are Being Traced By Police LAND FOR BUILDING SOLD BY TOWNSHIP Maple Shade’s so-called “plumbing warehouse” proved to be just what residents suspected it to be – an elaborate gambling establishment.…

  • Life Hereabouts by Charlie Humes

    Life Hereabouts by Charlie Humes

    Camden Courier-Post – March 19, 1949 Down Memory Lane with that Old Gang of Yours… in a few of the years when Our Town was as good a sport town as any in the land… from the time that Taylor and Gunnis promoted fights through the years to Roxie Allen… Mickey Blair… Eddie Chaney… Shamus…