Tag: Newton Avenue

  • Girard Place

    Girard Place

    Girard Place was a small, dead-end street that extended east from 916 St. John Street in Camden. First appearing in the Camden City Directories in 1890, Girard Place initially featured eleven homes. The street was later extended to connect with Newton Avenue after the demolition of the frame dwellings at 915 Newton Avenue. By 1947,…

  • Border Street

    Border Street, later renamed Mt. Ephraim Avenue in the 2000s, was a small street that originally ran from Line Street and Haddon Avenue northward along the railroad tracks. It intersected with Starr Avenue (also later renamed Mt. Ephraim Avenue) at some point between 1914 and 1946, and continued to intersect with Newton Avenue. In more…

  • Camden High School

    Camden High School

    1700 Park Boulevard, Camden, NJ Northwest Corner of Park Boulevard and Baird Boulevard Camden High School first welcomed students in 1918, occupying the intersection of Park Boulevard and Baird Avenue, a parcel of land originally within the bounds of Forest Hill Park, later renamed Farnham Park in 1927. The swift rise in population drove the…

  • Mount Ephraim Avenue

    Mount Ephraim Avenue

    Dating back to 1878, and originally named Border Street until the 2000’s, Mt. Ephraim Avenue has a history rooted in the past when it operated as the Mount Ephraim Turnpike, functioning as a toll road. Its origins trace back to the junction of Line Street and Haddon Avenue. In a subsequent period, roughly between 1929…

  • Eugene F. Alston

    Eugene F. Alston

    EUGENE F. ALSTON was born October 16, 1919 in Camden to Richard Alston and his wife, the former Dolly Robinson. His father had been born in 1891 in Henderson, North Carolina. Richard Alston was working as a laborer at the Victor Talking Machine Company in June of 1917, and had married. Mr. and Mrs. Alston…

  • Police Investigate 3 Fires in 4 Hours In One Section

    Police Investigate 3 Fires in 4 Hours In One Section

    Camden Courier-Post – July 31, 1952 Kaighn School Razed; Blazes Set in Church, Unoccupied House Police today are investigating the possibility that three fires Wednesday within a quarter-mile area inside of three hours and 46 minutes were the work of a firebug. The blaze which razed the Kaighn School, 5th and Chestnut Sts., Seriously damaged…

  • Storm Snaps Heat Plague; 4 More Drown

    Storm Snaps Heat Plague; 4 More Drown

    Camden Courier-Post – June 13, 1933 Man and Woman Struck by Lightning; Mercury Tumbles A violent electric storm, which paralyzed a South Camden woman, accompanied by a driving rain tumbled the mercury last night and ended, temporarily, the six-day heat wave. The storm came after four persons were added yesterday to the five drowning victims…

  • The Year 1836 – Camden, NJ

    The Year 1836 – Camden, NJ

    The Camden Cemetery, known in modern times as Old Camden Cemetery, adjoining the Newton Friends’ burying grounds, through an action of a town meeting of the Township of Camden, was founded on March 10, 1836. The control was vested in trustees appointed by the township meeting. A plot of ground containing 2.94 acres was purchased…