26th Street


Twenty-Sixth Street, originally designated as Union Street and situated in what was once identified as the Pavonia area, now part of Cramer Hill, extends to East Camden, concluding at the intersection of Bank and Mickle Streets. Originally laid out prior to 1887, the street underwent a renaming process, occurring sometime after the 1899 annexation of Stockton Township to Camden.

Commencing at the Delaware River, the street proceeds southward, crossing River Road and intersecting with North 27th Street. It resumes south of the Pavonia railroad switching yard at Howell Street, extending further to Westfield Avenue. However, it experiences a brief interruption at the “firehouse-police station-library” triangle between Westfield and Federal Street. Continuing at Federal Street, it spans two blocks and culminates at the intersection of Bank and Mickle Streets.

In keeping with the numbered street convention in Camden, the designation transforms into North 26th Street above Federal and becomes South 26th Street below Federal.


Location




Related Photos


Related Articles

  • 26th Street

    Twenty-Sixth Street, originally designated as Union Street and situated in what was once identified as the Pavonia area, now part of Cramer Hill, extends to East Camden, concluding at the intersection of Bank and Mickle Streets. Originally laid out prior to 1887, the street underwent a renaming process, occurring sometime after the 1899 annexation of…

    Read More…

  • Charles L. Alcott

    Charles L. Alcott was the son of Logan Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Ann Bodine. The Alcotts were living in Camden as early as 1854. Logan Alcott was one of the founding stewards of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church.Logan Alcott was in the coal business. The Alcott family was living at 440 West Street…

    Read More…

  • Robert T. Abbott

    Robert T. Abbott

    ROBERT T. ABBOTT was born in Salem, New Jersey on March 21, 18689 to Benjamin P. Abbott and his wife, the former Beulah Horner. The family moved to the Wrightsville section of Stockton Township, what is now Camden, in the 1870s. The 1880 Census shows the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, Robert, and…

    Read More…

  • Woolworth Leases East Camden Site

    Woolworth Leases East Camden Site

    F.W. Woolworth is invading East Camden with his “five and ten”.

    Read More…

  • 3 Policemen Hurt As Car Hits Ambulance

    3 Policemen Hurt As Car Hits Ambulance

    Philadelphia Inquirer – December 14, 1915 Three Camden policemen were injured, one of them seriously, last night, when the First district auto ambulance was struck by a trolley car while responding to a call from 2310 Carman street, where Bodine Stratton, 39 years old, had shot himself over the heart. All were taken to Cooper…

    Read More…

  • Mrs. Abbott Dies in Her Husband’s Arms

    Mrs. Abbott Dies in Her Husband’s Arms

    Camden Post-Telegram – December 12, 1910 Mrs. Margaret Abbott, wife of Policeman Robert T. Abbott, died this morning at 6 o’clock after several years illness with consumption, at her home, No. 49 North Twenty-sixth street. Death came rather unexpectedly, although her condition has been grave for several days.

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.