7th Street

The view South on 7th Street from Central Avenue. March 29, 2009.

Seventh Street, one of Camden’s original thoroughfares, has expanded significantly over the years, stretching from south to north with a few major interruptions, encompassing the area from Morgan Boulevard to Pyne Point in North Camden. The street comprises three distinct sections: from Federal Street north to Pyne Point, from Benson Street south to Kaighn Avenue, and from Van Hook Street south to Morgan Boulevard.

In the early 1940s, amid World War II, the Chelton Terrace public housing project was constructed. Located in the 2100 block of South Seventh, between Chelton Avenue and the railroad tracks along Bulson Street, these residences were owned and operated by the Housing Authority of the City of Camden.

During the early 1950s, properties along Seventh Street, spanning from Van Hook Street to Ferry Avenue, were demolished to pave the way for the Roosevelt Manor public housing project. Owned and operated by the Housing Authority of the City of Camden, Roosevelt Manor was scheduled for demolition in late 2004 and 2005, with plans for new construction in the area.


Location











Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Atlantic Avenue

    Atlantic Avenue

    The eastern segment of Atlantic Avenue, stretching beyond 7th Street, presents a combination of residential and commercial properties that persists to this day.

    Read More…

  • Old Cooper Street

    Old Cooper Street

    Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ.

    Read More…

  • 7th Street

    7th Street

    Seventh Street, one of Camden’s original thoroughfares, has expanded significantly over the years, stretching from south to north with a few major interruptions, encompassing the area from Morgan Boulevard to Pyne Point in North Camden. The street comprises three distinct sections: from Federal Street north to Pyne Point, from Benson Street south to Kaighn Avenue,…

    Read More…

  • Edwin F. Allen

    EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He…

    Read More…

  • William C. Aitken

    WILLIAM C. AITKEN was born around 1846. He first came to America in 1869. He moved to Camden in the early 1880s. He was active as a builder in the latter part of the 19th and early 20th centuries. He built rows of homes on Cooper Street between 9th and 11th Streets. Many of these…

    Read More…

  • Police Investigate 3 Fires in 4 Hours In One Section

    Police Investigate 3 Fires in 4 Hours In One Section

    Police today are investigating the possibility that three fires Wednesday within a quarter-mile area inside of three hours and 46 minutes were the work of a firebug.

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.