Twenty-Fourth Street, initially designated as Union Street, starts in the former Pavonia section, now part of Cramer Hill, and terminates at Marlton Avenue in East Camden. Its existence and layout were already established by the time the 1887-1888 Camden City Directory was issued. The street begins at Harrison Avenue and proceeds south, crossing River Avenue, traversing the Pavonia railroad switching yard, continuing to Federal Street, and eventually reaching Marlton Avenue. In line with Camden’s street naming convention, it is known as North 24th Street above Federal Street and South 24th Street below it.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
Arthur Avenue, established prior to 1887 and named after U.S. President Chester A. Arthur, is situated within the Cramer Hill neighborhood of Camden.
ROBERT T. ABBOTT was born in Salem, New Jersey on March 21, 18689 to Benjamin P. Abbott and his wife, the former Beulah Horner. The family moved to the Wrightsville section of Stockton Township, what is now Camden, in the 1870s. The 1880 Census shows the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, Robert, and…
Thirteen new firemen were sworn in today by Safety Director E. George Aaron in ceremonies at City Hall.